This is a quick (30-40 min) and healthy chicken dish I’ve inspected and adapted over the years! the measures below will serve 2-3 people, can be served with any kind of bread, rice (Basmati of course!) or best with bulgur wheat.
For the lentils (dal)
- 500g boneless chicken thighs (diced),
- 1 large onion, finely sliced,
- 1 star anis,
- 2 cinnamon sticks,
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped up,
- Coriander seeds,
- Fresh Coriander (generous handful, coarsely chopped),
- Cumin seeds (tea spoon),
- very large piece of ginger (50g’ish), sliced into thin strips,
- 2 green chilies, (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee (or vegetable oil)
Heat up the ghee and add onions and cook till golden’ish (say 8-10 mins on a medium flame).
Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds half way through frying up the onions. As the onions are getting done – add the cumin seeds and green chillis.
Add the diced chicken thighs and keep turning over on a high flame, add salt to taste.
Once the chicken is brown cover it and let it simmer for 15 mins – check it a couple of times to ensure it’s not sticking or burning. We’re not adding any water.
After 15 minutes, uncover, turn up the flame, keep stirring the chicken and add the coarsely chopped coriander, cover it up, turn off the flame and let it sit for 10 odd minutes.
You’re all done… Enjoy!